Friday, February 14, 2014

If Mythbusters Put Homeschooling to the Test

Hello dear readers!  As I've confessed to you before, I am not what you (or I) would consider a prime candidate to be your typical homeschooling mom.  It's not that I lack the education to teach.  It's not that I'm head over heels in love with our local public schools (because quite frankly, Common Core math is a blistering boil on our education's behind, in my opinion.  If it died a quiet, lonely death somewhere in the universe, I would be elated.  Joyful.  Downright giddy.)  And it's certainly not that I don't love being with my kids.

The honest truth is that I have looked forward to the day when I would have all 3 kids in school and have some time back to myself for at least a few hours a day.  With all that takes place and is required to manage my family on every level, I feel no guilt for feeling entitled to 6 precious hours a day to mentally gear up for that 3:15 p.m. 3-ring circus that blows in through the front door each day.

God bless all those teachers who in their heart's heart want nothing more than to teach and discipline kids all the live long day.  I thank you.  I purposely studied psychology to better understand the reasons that compel such people to desire such daring and mind-boggling career choices (and then help them through their occasional need to vent--it's a hard, hard job that those school teachers have!)

If you'll remember, we've been in homeschooling mode at our house for about 4 months now.  During this time, we've come to see the many benefits of this lifestyle balanced with the many, many reasons why, again, I LOVE SCHOOL TEACHERS.  I'm not going to lie--homeschooling is NOT for sissies.

Due to the nature of how we came to find ourselves doing home school this year, we were dropped into the situation as if we'd voluntarily jumped out of an F-16 jet doing stunts over an airfield.  Without the summer to prepare, we had to just learn on the fly.  Along the way, we've managed to put a few homeschooling myths to the test and we're prepared to blow them out of the water just like a good Mythbusters episode.

10 Myths About Homeschooling

Myth #1.  Homeschooling is for parents (moms especially) that just can't cut the apron strings and let their kids leave the nest.

Well, if the above few paragraphs didn't convince you otherwise, let me restate: I homeschool out of need.  Not MY need. My son's need.  As I've gotten to know several families that participate in our homeschool program, I've found that the majority--like 98%--are there because they have a child (or children) that have some particular educational need that couldn't be addressed in a successful fashion in the current public school system. They are there NOT because they just couldn't come to terms with the idea of Johnny eating lunch away from home.  It's because there was a real, legitimate need--one that only a homeschooling program could provide.

Myth #2.  Homeschooling means shorter school days.

Sure. In theory.  But what kid rolls out of bed eagerly and ready to dive into the day without a battle?  Not mine!  Add in the totally normal parent-child power struggles at play and you've just made 3 hours worth of work stretch out to pretty much a regular school day.  Except that you don't get paid or get retirement benefits and if the student decides that he hates you that day, he knows where you sleep at night.

Myth #3.  Homeschooling is just an excuse to play and goof off all day.  

Let me tell you what a terrifying burden it is to unenroll your child from a school district and sign-off on all kinds of government forms. You are officially taking on full responsibility for your child's ability to read, write, and do that horrible Common Core mathThere is so much material to cover in a school year that no parent in his or her right mind would even think of trying to play hookie without knowing that he or she is practically ensuring that the child will be mooching off of mom and dad well into adulthood due to a substandard education. Nope, we limit our play days only because we honestly don't have the time to do field trips each week.  I wish!  (This past week was an exception though with a day at the aquarium and a hike yesterday.  Good stuff.  We needed a break in the routine.)

Myth #4.  Homeschooling means you're home more and therefore you have extra time on your hands.

Hahahahahahahaha!  That's the same argument that people try with the moms of newborn babies.  I repeat: hahahahahahaha!  As a homeschooling parent, your job is teaching, parenting, disciplining, motivating, organizing, etc.  It's a full-time job stacked on top of another full-time job and summer break never looked so good.  Neither did spring break.

Myth #5.  Homeschooling will make your child socially inept.

Unless you keep your child in a box and locked in a dark closet (and then if you do, there are bigger problems at bay), your child is going to be A-okay social skills-wise.  Things like Sunday school classes, Boy Scout activities, play dates, time with family and neighbors, etc. ensure that the only thing your kiddo is missing out on is the navigating of those horrible bus ride and playground conversations.  You'd be amazed at what my kids have been exposed to over the years on the school bus and at recess.  Horrible stuff--the kind that makes you want to put your sweet child in a box and locked up in a dark closet for his or her own safety and well-being.


Photo credit


Myth #6.  It must be so boring to be home all day long with your kids.

Please refer back to myth #4



Myth #7.  Families that homeschool must be um...weird.

Okay, by some standards we might be, but at least not on the surface and not in public.  We have our dignity to uphold, ya know. We don't sew our own clothes (though doing that is kind of an "in" thing to do these days).  We shave and wear deodorant (even though we live in the Pacific Northwest where the folks in these parts fully embrace the "crunchy" lifestyle a bit more than the average Joe.)  If anything, we might be a little more educated after all is said and done.  Doing 2nd and 6th grade all over again (the grade level curriculum that I'm teaching this year along with helping the 8th grader) for the second time in my life might actually mean that my ACT scores will be amazing when I start grad school down the road.

Myths #8, 9, and 10.  "I could never, would never, WILL NEVER homeschool my kids."

Yeah, well me neither or so I thought!  For those of you out there contemplating this schooling alternative, I have news: You can deal with it and actually thrive in just about any situation when there's just no other choice AND especially if it's where God has placed you.  I think that I've heard, "I could never do what you're doing" about 165 times in the last 4 months.  If I was on the other end, I would be the one saying it to someone in my situation.  I know because I have!  And look where I am now--doing homeschool and still alive and kicking.  You can do this too.  True story.
 
As the crew on Mythbusters would say, "Myth BUSTED."

And now off to another adventure!

~Arianna

No comments:

Post a Comment