Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ode to Fedora (and Joy)


If you've come to read this post with thoughts of fashion in mind, I'm going to disappoint you.  This isn't that kind of a blog.  Rather, this new fedora of mine is going to help introduce this month's blog theme in honor of Christmas.


JOYJOYJOYJOYJOY

We're talking JOY, people.  It's going to surround you this month in every shape, fashion, and form.

I've seen it in my neighbor's yard like this:
Photo credit: Etsy.com


I have it displayed in my piano room like this:

You'll hear it sung like this:



You may even feel a little bit of it in the giving and getting of it like this:

This month, we're going to venture into the world of joy and discover the who, what, when, where, why and how of this sometimes elusive emotion.  With this thorough approach, we're sure to make some English teacher very happy in the process and hopefully make you, my fellow adventurers, as well.

Last month's posts all seemed to revolve around little things, appreciating the good with the bad, and finding the blessings in all experiences.  Joy is an element closely intertwined in all of those concepts.  What allows this emotion to surface is the defining act of CHOICE.  An action, a decision, a "just do it" sort of resolution.




So, back to my fedora.


I came home with my new hat the other day and received some mixed reviews from the family.  The fedora took them a little off guard and even generated some remarks referencing Michael Jackson.  My smile dropped down low for just a bit.  My little moment of joy deflated when some of the people closest to me were not quite approving.  

I even blurted out loud that I wasn't going to wear it since it was going to garner such disapproval.  But after a few minutes, I recanted and CHOSE to regain that small sense of joy again.  I liked my fedora.  I had wanted one for quite some time and CHOSE to buy it and I would CHOOSE to wear it and not worry if it didn't float anyone's boat but my own.

I wore it on Saturday and got quite a reaction in Home Depot, of all places.  Apparently, people who shop for home construction items have a fabulous sense of style and love a good fedora!  Go figure.

I wore this spiffy new little hat to church on Sunday and who would've guessed that it would have sparked such a controversy.  People either loved it or hated it and weren't afraid to say so. To my face.  To my husband's face.  Oh brother.  It's a hat for crying out loud.

As you can see, my emotions could have taken a real roller coaster ride over the course of the weekend if I let the opinions of others invade my small sense of joy regarding this fedora.  I could have become self-conscious or paranoid or angry or frustrated or deflated or...etc., etc.  But I didn't--at least not long enough to let it keep me from putting it back on and liking everything about it in as wreckless and free sort of a way as one can be with a hat! 

My point is that I had to make a real conscious effort to CHOOSE JOY in this small experience. Therein lies the true JOY in this story--sure the fedora is great, but the act and ability to choose to stay joyful is the real prize .  This is clearly a superficial situation, but the concept applies to so very many instances in life.  So many of us limit our experiences because we're afraid of what others might think or say. We hold the opinions of others in higher regard than our own. We may be half-living in a tip-toeing fashion around others for fear of opinions and expectations that are not on par with ours. 

As we explore joy this month, we'll dive into C.S. Lewis a bit who wrote about Joy (he referenced it with a capital "J") and described finding it and having it feel like, "here at last is the thing I was made for."  Ooh, I'm so excited to dive into that topic!

We'll also climb into a little self-help and discuss self-care as it relates to joy.  Did you know that Jesus Christ practiced self-care?  Hold onto your hats--I'm even going to quote some biblical accounts that prove it to be so! His self-care (among other things, of course) is what allowed for him to cope on a mortal level and stay joyful in the face of so many afflictions and heartaches.

So, go on.  Go put on that fedora or whatever else you've been holding back on and choose JOY!

See you soon,

Arianna






8 comments:

  1. You looked adorable--I didn't have a chance to tell you--as ALWAYS. I love the JOY theme! Life is too short and eternity is too long not to follow our Father's wish for it! And anyone who needs to criticize someone else's wardrobe (to her face or behind her back or to her husband?!) may have a bit of a mote and beam issue. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say nuttin' at all." --Thumper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your support, Lisa! The problem with getting annoyed with others judgments is that we end up judging the judgers, so it becomes one vicious circle sometimes. The point is that someone is always going to have an opinion about us and we're always going to have an opinion about others. It's impossible not to! We are constantly taking in the info. that our senses are receiving and interpreting it. So, the only thing that makes sense to do is learn and practice not letting those opinions and judgments negatively affect us!

      With that said, I appreciate Thumper having my back:)

      Delete
    2. And to train ourselves to only think positively about other people, and banish the unkind whether based on truth, opinion, gossip, or one's limited view from our own perspective, so we don't find ourselves with that beam :)

      Delete
  2. I apologize to the fedora. Perhaps we just don't know each other well enough. I'm sure that with time I'll come to appreciate the joy that comes from said fedora. For now, I openly admit that I have no fashion sense and will concede that the fedora must be cool if you are wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's payback for donating your creepy black leather trench coat 15 years ago.

      Delete
  3. I needed that! I definitely need to learn how to not limit my experiences because of how others might respond. That is one of my weaknesses. Thank you for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of mine too and it has bothered me for YEARS! Our greatest weaknesses are also our greatest strengths. My ability to really feel others emotions and be able to "read" people also opens me to being overly sensitive and possibly bothered by others thoughts/feelings. I've been practicing baby steps towards conquering this for quite a while. It's gratifying to see improvement! Keep at it!

      Delete