Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mirror Mirror On the Wall...You've Got the Greatest Job of All

Before we get started...


The original title for this post was going to be "The Only Time That You May Call Me a Tool and Not Get A Beating," (it'll make more sense later--also remembering that in our jargon these days, it's an insult) but decided that it was a little off-putting.  FYI: For those of you who have not been eyewitness to it, there is a trace (and at times, a heavily rushing vein) of slightly irreverent humor within the Rees family and we’re okay with that.  Just keep that in mind when deciphering my sense of humor in all future posts.

Back to the matter at hand.

I spent a wonderful evening out for dinner this weekend with some of my dearest of dear friends.  Lucky me to have them all living in the same small town and friends with one another.  At some point towards the end of the night, I sat back and took a gander at all of them, taking them all in individually and collectively—each one so different and so beautiful; each of them accomplished and fantastic. Each one having experienced or currently experiencing some sort of a loss or significant grief and yet made so lovely because of it.  I paused when I contemplated just how much each of them had been through in their lives and yet were candles of light on their various paths.

The phrase "beauty for ashes" came to mind at that moment.  Being distracted in a restaurant environment, I couldn't quite pinpoint where I had read or heard that phrase until last night.  Courtesy of the 8th Wonder of the World--Google--I was led to the Bible.  Duh, of course!

If you turn to Isaiah 61:3, you'll find the following beautiful passage:

  To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
  

I saw beauty for ashes in those ladies. Each individual's personal struggles, challenges, and circumstances having brought forth a more refined and exceptional version of what they might have otherwise accomplished on their own.  Out of the ashes of what life's fires of experience burned to the ground came beauty in the form of character traits like enduring patience, wise understanding, and immovable loyalty.

These beautiful women inspire and uplift me and at that very moment, all I wanted to do was to squeeze each one of them and make a scene right then and there with an over the top Tom Cruise on the Oprah couch sort of moment, telling each of them just how fabulous they were.

I got a hold of myself and stuffed it back inside for the time being.  No need to freak anyone out.

I am convinced that no matter how healthy a dose of self-worth or self-esteem one may have, everyone needs a metaphorical mirror to be held up from time to time--a personal cheerleader--in order to see themselves as they really are and what they are becoming.  

I have been mercifully blessed with people placed in my life over the years that have accomplished this very thing for me.  I am forever indebted to them.  They have held up that mirror for me to see the light that is within me even during times that all I could recognize and focus on was what I felt was dark or broken or missing.

I found this quote the other day.  


Don't you love that mirror?  It's got the best job! Sign me up. I want to be that tool that reflects back others' light for them to see.

I love this author's perspective on the two options that we have and the good news that we can do and be both at any given time.  

Let's talk about what it takes for each of us to be able to act as that tool or instrument in the lives of others to bring about that miracle of seeing beauty for ashes within.  

In my previous post about self-care, I shared with you my recipe for what I consider to be the most vital and necessary steps to have a functioning and fulfilling day regardless of what life may bring.  It's the foundation for coping with every problem, question, crisis, desire for change, expression of gratitude, and first step in making your world a better place.  I keep feeling the need to re-emphasize it.

To refresh your memory, the steps go like this:

1. Wake up early at dark o'clock.  Having that precious quiet time is crucial and sets the stage for the other steps to take place before the day gets into full swing and takes on the feel of a 3-ring circus.  In those silent minutes while your mind is still fresh, God speaks.  Be prepared to listen. If you're distracted, you'll miss it.

2.  Read from the scriptures.  This is the most precious secret that I can share with you. I wish that I had really discovered it for myself much earlier in my life.

Some days I have 10 min. and some days I have/make more time.  My reading is sometimes chronological--reading from wherever I happen to be in the Bible or Book of Mormon.  Often I am studying topics for an upcoming lesson that I'll be teaching to a youth group the following Sunday.  But my favorite way to study is to "listen" to those spiritual nudgings that come in the form of ideas or phrases that seem to linger, as I've mentioned before.  Lately, it's been mercy and grace.  Perhaps it'll be a post for a later date.

3.  Exercise.  Remember that self-care is taking care of your own mental, emotional, and physical health.  In order to be that instrument in helping others, you have got to take care of that vehicle housing your mind and spirit.  I promise you that no matter how tired you are, you will ALWAYS feel better when you are done with your workout.  Always.  I have never once regretted getting up to exercise no matter how exhausted I may have felt upon waking up.  Exercise will have more impact on how you'll feel later in the day than will an extra hour of sleep.  It's true.  Just trust me.  Show gratitude for the body that you were given by taking care of it!

4.  Take time to ponder and pray and then plan your day (I combined steps 4 and 5 from the original list).  You are a steward of your time.  Give God the very first part of your day (a tithing of your time as I like to refer to it) and the rest will come together oh so much better.  Having created a precious window of time in the morning where you've invited a reverent spirit will allow for you to be significantly more in tune with what needs to happen with your day.  My most ingenious ideas that help my family and those around me come during this time.  I marvel each time it happens and then smile...God is allowing me to participate in His great plan.  I am the luckiest girl in the world!  The best part is that this can be true for you too and it will happen more often if you follow steps 1-4.

So, what does this have to do with my amazing group of friends (insert family, co-workers, etc.), mirrors, and tools?  I can be a mirror for them showing them their beauty for ashes, but I have to first prepare myself and my day in order to best be fit to cheerlead them on. 

So go ahead, please call me a tool.  I promise that I won't get mad.


~Arianna





No comments:

Post a Comment