Thursday, May 8, 2014

What Glue Holds You Together?


Hello dear readers, I’ve missed you!

I’ve had a rough week and a half and have been in a royally bad mood.  Yep, it’s true.  Even the dog knew to steer clear and she’s usually only aware of things that involve food or her leash.
  
I had a doozy of a hard case of grumpy-itis.  Start with a generally challenging year, throw in a good dose of endlessly exhausting fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants learning curves in several areas, top it off with a heavy sprinkling of disappointments (Hawaii, you are NOT on my “nice” list right now) and I’m pretty sure that I hit some kind of a wall.  The wall not only stopped me, but I fell flat on my back, and just stared up at some metaphorical ceiling for the last several days.
 
What do YOU do when that happens? 

Well, I went on strike, doing the absolute minimum for the last week and a half. (We were late to lots of things, meals were hardly called food—did we even eat?  I think so. But honestly, I have no idea if anyone even bathed). 
 
I did have the pleasure of attending a conference over the weekend held for several of the local LDS congregations.  During one of those talks, the speaker mentioned that he sometimes asks his work clients the following question:

“What holds you together?”

It made me think of glue.  Life glue.  What holds you together?


I liked it.  It made me wonder how I would answer that if asked.  It had me reviewing what I did this past week that held me together even though I felt like I was on a “life strike” of sorts.

-I still got up early each morning even though the idea of hiding in bed was much more appealing.  The morning is when my best thinking happens.  It's also when inspiration seems to come the most.

-I created my little daily sanctuary in my walk-in closet (free of noise and distractions of any kind) and had my morning scripture reading (yup, right on the floor next to the pile of the less than fresh smelling shoes and laundry begging for attention).

-I forced myself to sit and pray even when no words came because I was rather busy stewing over things.

-I counted this morning and I miraculously found/made the time to attend the temple 3 times in the last 9 days—something that I didn’t expect possible until at least age 70!

“Hooray for you and so what,” you may ask.  I’m not asking for a gold star or bragging rights here.  It’s just what holds ME together.  I've shared these things a few times before.  Find a reminder here and here.

You see, I knew that no matter how dark the day or how deep the hole, those very things would be what would help me snap out of that impending blah feeling and back into a position to tackle and sort through life.  I had total confidence in those forms of "life glue" because they are tied to the very source that holds me together on an even larger scale, but that's the topic for another day.

So when you're feeling like this: 

...consider what you're using for your glue.

Until next time!

 ~Arianna


No comments:

Post a Comment